To promote the sport of recreational boating, six men met on April 25, 1910 and founded the Washington Yacht Club. Each man held an office. The first Club site was the south side of the Anacostia River, east of the present day Sousa Bridge.
Keeping with the times, the property was leased from the War Department for $10 per year. Initiation fees were $2.50 and monthly dues were $.50.
The club was then, and is now, a Self-Reliant” Club – making it possible for boating to be available to the broader community. The members bought materials, transported it to the site, and built the first marina. Time was also allotted for the design for the present day burgee, which was adopted in 1911.
Between 1910 and 1925, the Club moved 4 times, always on the South bank of the Anacostia River. With each move, the men dismantled everything they could salvage and reconstructed in the new location. The new sites, located between the Pennsylvania Avenue and 11th Street bridges, were leased from the War Department, Public Buildings and Grounds, and the Interior Department, respectively.
In 1925, the Club was asked to move again, this time to a 200 ft site on the North bank of the river. Using a scow, the enthusiastic members of the Club rafted their Clubhouse across the river to their new location, on M street and adjacent to 15th street. The Club house was placed on top of a 7 ft tall cinderblock base, where it stands today.
Over the past 106 years, the Washington Yacht Club has stood as an example of how community boating can remain a tradition in the Washington DC metro area.